3-year-old dies from injuries in Ogden pile-up

Northbound I-15 was temporarily closed at 21st Street in Ogden following a multi-vehicle crash early Wednesday, according to the Utah Department of Transportation. (Shara Park, KSL-TV)

Estimated reading time: 3-4 minutes

OGDEN – A 3-year-old girl died of her injuries after an accident that temporarily closed the freeway on Wednesday morning.

Just before 5 a.m., a series of pile-ups occurred on northbound Interstate 15 near 21st Street in Ogden. The crashes included nine or 10 vehicles that caused multiple injuries and blocked traffic lanes.

In one of the most serious crashes, a Hyundai passenger car lost control to the left, hit the center concrete barrier and came to rest facing the wrong way, Utah Highway Patrol troopers said. . A PT Cruiser then overcorrected to avoid the Hyundai, but hit the center barrier and came to rest on its side, blocking traffic.

Other vehicles were unable to avoid the stopped vehicles. A 3-year-old girl in the PT Cruiser was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries, along with an adult who also suffered serious injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, soldiers said.

The northbound I-15 freeway remained closed until about 7 a.m. The crash was one of about 50 that occurred as of midday Wednesday, most of which were weather-related, UHP Sgt. Cameron Roden confirmed.

KSL-TV reporter Shara Park said she and a photojournalist were among the first vehicles to arrive at the scene. She and KSL-TV chief photographer John Wilson jumped out and ran towards the wrecked vehicles, “and immediately someone shouted, ‘There’s a kid in the back,'” Park said.

“So while John was trying to open the door on one side, I jumped out the window into the smashed door on one side, and this 3-year-old was struggling to breathe. And so I held her neck as she struggled to breathe and tried to calm mum down,” Park recalled, her voice cracking.

“And you could tell there was just panic all around,” she said.

Many bystanders stepped in to help, Park said, before first responders soon showed up.

Park said she shared the story “because it was terrifying in every way, on every level, not knowing if another car was going to run over us while we were trying to help this child.”

“And so I’m sharing this with you just to remind you to slow down this morning. I didn’t expect this, I didn’t expect to be in the middle of this,” Park said, adding that she was still shocked.

Commuters in northern Utah faced a smooth ride, with several accidents and slips reported.

Little Cottonwood Canyon has been closed for avalanche control. Chains, 4x4s or traction devices were required for all vehicles on I-80 eastbound through Parleys Canyon. A backcountry avalanche warning is in effect from 6 a.m. Wednesday for 24 hours.

Scattered snow showers were expected to continue along the Wasatch front throughout the day, with temperatures reaching the mid-upper 30s and possibly a rain-snow mix in the valley bottoms.

Get the full forecast on the KSL weather page and check journey times at the KSL traffic center.

Contributor: linda williams


More stories that might interest you

About Joyce Hill

Check Also

Weber State Men’s Basketball Finalizes Busy 2022-23 Schedule | News, Sports, Jobs

Bridget Mayfield, EWU Athletics Weber State players rally during a game against Eastern …