Real Salt Lake held scoreless in deadlock against Columbus

SALT LAKE CITY – Real Salt Lake and the Columbus Crew played out a scoreless draw at Rio Tinto Stadium tonight in front of another sold-out crowd.

The draw was only the second in eight games at the Rio Tinto Stadium this year.

Three changes

Manager Pablo Mastroeni made three changes to last week’s roster which beat San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 as Aaron Herrera returned from red card suspension, Pablo Ruiz replaced Scott Caldwell and Rubio Rubin received his second start of the season following an injury to Bobby Wood. .

Real Salt Lake dominated the first part of the match. Rubio Rubin found space behind the Columbus baseline and fired his shot from the near post. Then, 15 minutes later, Justen Glad found space at the back post from a Herrera cross and narrowly missed through a side-netting shaking foot.

Zac MacMath made the first-half save when Columbus left-back Pedro Santos attempted a cross that had eyes for the top right corner of the net. MacMath leapt into the air and hit the ball with his fingertips pushing the ball out of the woodwork.

Marcelo Silva was reprimanded deep in stoppage time with a yellow card after battling for a header and slashing Columbus striker Miguel Berry with his elbow, albeit by accident.

In the main interval, Real Salt Lake controlled 53% of the possession while going 3 shots to the Crew’s 2, however, both of Columbus’ shots were on target while Real Salt Lake only managed 3 shots. only one shot on target for the first 45 minutes.

Second half stalemate

In an attempt to bring some energy into the game, Mastroeni opted to use Scott Caldwell and Jonathan Menéndez off the bench in the 66th minute who replaced Pablo Ruiz and Rubio Rubin, respectively.

Menéndez took the lead alongside Sergio Córdova while Jefferson Savarino and Justin Meram played on both wings.

Shortly after, Córdova found herself in a one-on-one position but couldn’t get the ball past Columbus goalie Eloy Room, who did a good job of getting his body big enough. to stop shooting.

Apart from Córdova’s opportunity, the second half was a stalemate.

In the 83rd minute, Justin Meram was replaced by Maikel Chang who struggled to find the rhythm and fluidity of the game in his 10 minutes of playing time.

It was only the second draw at the Rio Tinto Stadium in eight matches so far in 2022. The previous draw came against Toronto when it ended 2-2 on April 9.

next game

Real Salt Lake travel to Minnesota United next Sunday, June 3, with a scheduled kickoff at 6 p.m.

The match will be available to stream for free via the KSL Sports and KSL 5 TV apps or on KSL Sports dot com.

About Joyce Hill

Check Also

Security photos show missing Spanish Fork teens in Salt Lake City

SALT LAKE CITY — Surveillance photos appear to show two Spanish Fork teenagers who have …