Real Salt Lake suffer disappointing loss on first trip to Q2 stadium

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Real Salt Lake lost 2-1 on the road to Austin FC, giving Austin only their 3rd win in their last 12 games.

Interim manager Pablo Mastroeni made four changes from the squad that beat LA Galaxy in midweek by throwing Donny Toia, Justin Meram, Nick Besler and Anderson Julio into the starting lineup replacing Toni Datkovic, Maikel Chang, Everton Luiz and Rubio Rubin respectively.

This game was the first time Real Salt Lake visited Q2 Stadium. Previously, Real Salt Lake beat Austin FC 1-0 on August 14 in the inaugural match between the two clubs.

Slow start

It was a slow start for Real Salt Lake, who struggled to find much of the football throughout the first quarter of an hour.

Austin FC were rewarded for their efforts in the 17th minute when Sebastián Driussi’s shot was blocked by David Ochoa before falling at the feet of Cecilio Domínguez who kicked the ball into the net.

Soon after, Real Salt Lake found the pace and speed of the game and looked to increase the field in an effort to solidify. However, very few opportunities have come from the visiting club.

The barrage of attacks continued for Austin, who appeared to be the team much more likely to score the game’s next goal.

However, the halftime whistle beat them and both teams entered the main span with Austin having the 1-0 lead.

Mastroeni makes his moves

The start of the second half began the same way the first half played out, all on Austin’s terms.

So much so that Austin was rewarded with his second goal of the game when Domínguez scored his brace. The goal came after Diego Fagúndez was played behind Erik Holt before playing a single pass to Domínguez who only has the back of the net to aim for.

Then Mastroeni immediately went to his bench and made a double substitution, bringing in Jonothan Menéndez for Justin Meram and Rubio Rubin for Anderson Julio.

The move paid off when Menéndez found Rubin’s feet high on the box who played a wonderful one-touch pass over the feet of Damir Kreilach who calmly passed the ball past Brad Stuver and into the lower left corner of the box. net.

Real Salt Lake had life.

Unfortunately, Austin returned to the front foot and immediately looked to regain his two-goal lead.

In the 78th minute, Austin awarded a penalty when the referee ruled that Erik Holt had fouled Moussa Kalilou Djitté. But the VAR overturned the rule and no penalty was rewarded.

Austin kept looking for the dagger and produced a handful of attacking threats that seemed aimed at the back of the net, but Ochoa stood up and helped keep Real Salt Lake in the game.

Next match

Real Salt Lake will be given an extended break before their next game when they host Colorado Rapids on October 16 after the international break.

The match will start at 7:30 p.m. and will be available for free streaming via the KSL Sports & KSL 5 TV apps or on KSL Sports dot com.

About Joyce Hill

Check Also

Powder League co-founders focus on showcasing culture in Salt Lake City

Powder League co-founder Neema Namdar warms up with a 3-point shot (Kaylee Shores) Estimated reading …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.